Yay! You’re already part of something great.
Living in Leeds, you’ve had an impact in ways you might not imagine.
One last thing, tell us the issue you care about most:
The Leeds Counts tool was developed by CAFOD, WaterAid, ONE and Global Citizen to help raise awareness about Leeds’ impact on some of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people.
We believe in the power of one individual and one city to change the world. We hope that this tool helps the people of Leeds take pride in the impact their city has across the globe.Close Window
How do we know Leeds' impact?
In order to determine Leeds’ contribution to the UK Aid budget, we used Leeds’ regional Gross Value Added (GVA) as a percentage of the UK’s total GVA as a proxy for Leeds’ estimated contribution to the economy. Given the UK government does not produce regional GNI, we have elected to use UK GVA as an equivalent measure to GNI.
The total calculation of Leeds’ contribution to UK Aid is as follows:
- • Leeds total GVA is £21,951 million
- • UK GVA less Extra-Regio is £1,729,082 million
- • Leeds total GVA/ UK GVA less Extra-Regio = Leeds’ percentage contributed to ODA or 1.2659%
With an overall UK Aid budget of £13,933 million, Leeds’ portion of said budget is £176,378,000 or 1.2659% of overall ODA. Applying the figure of 1.2659% to general UK Aid statistics, we can determine numbers like the following:
- • The UK delivered 1950 tonnes of emergency Relief
- • 1.2659% of 1950 tonnes of emergency relief = 24.68 tonnes
- • Leeds delivered 24.68 tonnes of emergency relief
We’re grateful for the support of the Office of National Statistics and volunteer scientists at DataKind who helped make our thinking robust.Close Window